Thursday, 11 June 2015

Disorganised jet setter

It's come up so fast - I leave for the UK tomorrow, followed by the 65th Nobel Laureate Meeting in Germany. I'm so disorganised. Perhaps it's because I managed to navigate Moscow, where English was rarely spoken, but I am not as "ocd" about all my travel details as I usually am. Haven't looked at maps, haven't really looked at train schedules. Trusting that I can arrive and find my way.

Still haven't gotten Forex - checked the exchange rate today and OUCH! Almost R20 to the pound. Thank goodness my food over there is being paid for, although it'll be after the fact. And just watch, when I get back, the rate would have dropped and I'll end up losing money. Typical. On the other hand, I found 60 Euros on my desk today :) Hoorah for clean-ups. Must be left over from my France trip last year. Guess I can pay for a 1-way train now, or food in the airport. Wait, do the Swiss deal in Euros?

Still need to phone my bank so they don't freeze my credit card. That would be a bit of a disaster. It's on my to-do list for this afternoon. That, and shopping for meds, because apparently I can't travel anywhere without needing a mini pharmacy in my bag. I have written a list though, so that's some organised forethought.

I have a wedding the day after I return to SA - haven't even thought about what I'll wear to that, but at least the present is all sorted. So it'll be something like land, home, sleep, wake-up, find a dress, go to wedding. Nice and streamlined. I feel more excited for my friends' nuptials than I do for these trips. Think the vast difference in money-worth gets me down. Can't afford to do many (any?) touristy things while I'm over there, well, not that I have oodles of time anyway. Business business business. I had wanted to go to Scotland but now not sure I'll have the dough. Sad times. Money makes the world go round, and SA is effing up it's political standing in the eyes of the international community, so goodbye investors, and hello rising prices and exchange rates.

Going to sidle away from the rant I can feel building and go get my butt to the bank. See you in Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment